Monday 29 June 2015

(DA) Too much bread

One of my favourite lines from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is from Bilbo Baggins when he admits that he's starting to feel his age. He says, "[...] I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean; like butter that has been scraped over too much bread."

Some people will question this quote as a personal favourite because, let's face it, there are so many wonderful quotes from these books! But what I like about this quote is how easily I can relate to it.

No, I don't feel old. I don't feel sick or feeble, but I know this feeling when I'm tired; when I've pushed myself hard, for too long without a significant break.

I'm feeling that now. I'm not complaining about my MS. No, that's properly in check ;) but I am saying I'm tired.

I've noticed at work that instead of looking forward to my shifts, I'm counting down the minutes until I can clock out. Patrons complaints wear on me more than usual. Random negative interactions with strangers eat at me instead of bouncing off. When my alarm clock chimes in the morning all I want to do is roll over and wait for the weekend- until I realize I work weekends too.

The easiest way to describe 'feeling too thin' is to say 'I need a vacation'. I want time to myself, time to goof off with my husband and time to be with my family.

My vacation is just around the corner, and just in time. And although I will be taking a boat for my vacation, I will not be following Bilbo Baggins' example and going off to the undying lands. I will be away long enough to recharge my batteries and come back home to regular life refreshed and revitalized, and ready for the next adventure!

-Brandolyn


No comments:

Post a Comment